When last weeks blog pertaining to self-care is given the time it needs. The motivation and ability to capture the small moments throughout childhood seems more feasible. This article was inspired by mother's sharing the challenges of capturing the small precious moments of the younger years in the reality of the expression of the days are long but the years are short. Below are a few ways of capturing some of the moments that are meaningful and precious to your child(ren)'s growth and changes:
1. Have a special journal designated to each child writing the date with the funny or cute moment (e.g. cute ways they said a word), developmental milestone they met, or other special achievements or first moments (e.g. first time riding bike).
2. Growth chart that the whole family is on, with each child having their height measured each birthday, and even half birthday if that resonates.
3. Yearly hand print painting that has different themes (e.g. handprints transformed into fish, birds, safari animals).
4. Picture collages on a Bristol board of key moments of the past year each birthday.
5. Writing your child a letter each birthday reflecting back on special moments of the year.
Leave a Reply.
I am a Registered Psychotherapist and Art Therapist. And I have been writing this blog since May 2021 about various topics including parenting, supporting adult and child mental health, and holistic approaches. The intention of this blog is to provide resources and information to others, however it is not intended to take the place of therapy. If you have any questions about anything written please reach out to me.